No, Shock Alert, LLC should not be left in the water.
A portable device is beneficial because it does not introduce electricity to the water, as it is battery operated. There is also no chance for the water to break down the integrity of the device; in the same way wiring can be affected on boats in the water, since it is not submerged indefinitely. You can also travel with Shock Alert, LLC and test unfamiliar bodies of water in which you plan to swim. Due to the fact boats can pull up at any time and plug in, it is not recommended to swim in Marinas or at a home dock if a boat is plugged in.
While Shock Alert, LLC can detect small amounts of electricity, which may be non-lethal, it is recommended to have your pool or dock inspected to be safe.
Electricity can travel far distances based on the level of voltage, so it is best to educate and inform everyone in your surrounding area about testing your water before you swim.
Yes GFCI’s can fail, which is why it is important to hire a certified electrician for regular maintenance.
Shock Alert, LLC does not detect either AC or DC current. It detects AC voltage gradients.