Can Shock Alert, LLC be left in the water?
No, Shock Alert, LLC should not be left in the water.
A portable device is beneficial because it does not introduce electricity to the water, as it is battery operated. There is also no chance for the water to break down the integrity of the device; in the same way wiring can be affected on boats in the water, since it is not submerged indefinitely. You can also travel with Shock Alert, LLC and test unfamiliar bodies of water in which you plan to swim. Due to the fact boats can pull up at any time and plug in, it is not recommended to swim in Marinas or at a home dock if a boat is plugged in.
Yes GFCI’s can fail, which is why it is important to hire a certified electrician for regular maintenance.
Shock Alert, LLC does not detect either AC or DC current. It detects AC voltage gradients.
Not much at all. It takes only small amounts of leaking AC to incapacitate or electrocute a person. As small an amount as 15 milliamps can cause paralysis, 100 milliamps – or a third of the amount of electricity need to light a 40-watt light bulb – can kill a person in seconds. In comparison, a double AA battery produces 2400 milliamps per hour.