Girl, 10, dies after electrocution in Toms River lagoon
TOMS RIVER, N.J. (WPVI) —
A 10-year-old girl has died as a result of being electrocuted in a lagoon while visiting a friend in Toms River, New Jersey, police say.
Police were called to the house on the unit block of Tobago Avenue at 8:12 p.m. Saturday for the report of a possible electrocution of a girl.
Initial reports say the Kayla Matos and two friends were using an inflatable raft and swimming in the lagoon behind the home.
Two of the girls touched the rail to a metal boat lift. Police say the electric current appears to have energized the equipment causing the fatal injury.
The girls were wearing life-jackets and in the presence of adults, police say.